Nearly half a million Americans died in the year following the outbreak of COVID-19. Sadly, that would qualify as a “good” year for Americans with heart disease, which claims 655,000 lives annually.
Heart disease continues to be the leading cause of death worldwide, and it’s still the greatest health threat to Americans:
- One person in the U.S. dies every 36 seconds from cardiovascular disease.
- One in four American deaths are caused by heart disease.
- The disease claims the lives of one in three women.
Worldwide, mortality and case rates have gone up 17% and 26%, respectively, since 2010.
How can that be? Modern medicine has developed nearly 100 cholesterol and blood pressure medications that have proven to improve patient outcomes over the past 60 years.
Despite the therapeutic effectiveness, only half of people who need these medications take them as prescribed. Why? It comes down to access, affordability and adherence. Rx Savings Solutions helps with all three.
- We send thousands of notifications every week to members informing them of lower-cost options for their cardiovascular therapies.
- Members have saved more than $17 million to date.
- In addition to making therapies more affordable, we help members manage multiple medication regimens with dosage reminders, refill reminders and adherence reports for providers.
Like in any organization, everyone here knows someone with heart disease, has lost someone to it, or is battling it themselves. It’s a big reason we chose the American Heart Association as our designated charity for Q1, which includes the month of February—the association’s designated Heart Month.
There's no better time to raise awareness of cardiovascular disease, as well as the small but meaningful part we can play in fighting it.